Teenage Gunmen Open Fire On San Diego Mosque Killing 3 Men And Then Themselves

Post by : Sophia Matthew

A deadly shooting at a mosque in San Diego, California, has shocked communities across the United States after two teenage gunmen opened fire and killed three men before taking their own lives. Authorities said the attack happened at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday and is being investigated as a possible hate crime. Police confirmed that the suspects, aged 17 and 18, were later found dead inside a vehicle a few blocks away from the mosque after apparently shooting themselves.

According to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, the attackers entered the mosque area and opened fire during a busy time of the day when families and children were present near the religious center. Among those killed was a mosque security guard identified as Amin Abdullah, who officials described as a hero for helping protect others during the attack. Police said his actions likely prevented the situation from becoming even more deadly.

The Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the largest mosques in the region and includes educational facilities for children and families. Authorities confirmed that all children inside the mosque complex were safely evacuated after the shooting. Television footage showed officers leading children out of the area while heavily armed police secured nearby streets and buildings.

Investigators revealed that police had already been searching for the teenage suspects before the attack happened. Earlier in the day, the mother of one of the teenagers contacted authorities and reported that her son was suicidal, missing, and had taken firearms from the family home along with a vehicle. Police immediately launched a search operation using license plate readers and alerts across nearby schools and public areas. However, before officers could locate the suspects, the mosque attack took place.

Authorities said there had been no direct threat made against the Islamic Center before the attack, but investigators discovered evidence of “generalized hate rhetoric” connected to the suspects. Anti-Islamic writings were reportedly found inside the suspects’ vehicle and on at least one firearm recovered at the scene. Officials believe the shooting may have been motivated by religious hatred, although the full motive remains under investigation. The FBI has joined local police in the case.

The attack caused fear and sadness across Muslim communities in California and other parts of the United States. Religious leaders strongly condemned the violence and called for increased protection for places of worship. Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center of San Diego, described the attack as “extremely outrageous” and said no community should fear being targeted while praying.

Political leaders also reacted quickly to the tragedy. California Governor Gavin Newsom condemned the attack and offered support to victims and their families. President Donald Trump called the shooting a “terrible situation” and said federal authorities would continue assisting with the investigation.

Security measures around mosques and Islamic centers were increased in several major American cities after the shooting. Muslim civil rights organizations, including the Council on American-Islamic Relations, urged authorities to take stronger action against hate crimes and extremist violence targeting religious communities.

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities continue examining the suspects’ backgrounds, online activity, and possible extremist connections. Police said more information may be released in the coming days as investigators work to understand what led to one of the deadliest attacks on a mosque in recent American history.

May 19, 2026 12:01 p.m. 105

Global News world news Crime