Trump’s Big Move: US Expands Travel Ban To 20 More Nations, Palestinians

Post by : Mina Carter

The Trump administration on Tuesday announced a major expansion of US travel and immigration restrictions, extending sweeping limits to 20 additional countries and people traveling on documents issued by the Palestinian Authority. The move effectively doubles the scope of travel curbs first introduced earlier this year.

Under the new proclamation, five more countries face a full ban on travel to the United States, while citizens of 15 additional nations will be subject to partial restrictions. The changes will take effect on January 1, according to the administration.

Officials said the decision is part of broader efforts to tighten US entry standards, pointing to concerns over national security, immigration enforcement and vetting challenges. The administration cited issues such as unreliable civil records, corruption, high visa overstay rates, refusal by some governments to accept deported nationals, and political instability that complicates screening processes.

The expanded restrictions follow heightened scrutiny after the arrest of an Afghan national accused of shooting two National Guard troops near the White House over Thanksgiving weekend. The suspect has pleaded not guilty.

The newly added countries facing a full travel ban include Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, South Sudan and Syria. In addition, individuals traveling on Palestinian Authority-issued documents are now fully barred from both visiting and immigrating to the US, marking a significant escalation of restrictions on Palestinians.

Another 15 countries — Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Ivory Coast, Dominica, Gabon, Gambia, Malawi, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Tonga, Zambia and Zimbabwe — have been placed under partial restrictions affecting both visitors and prospective immigrants.

Certain categories remain exempt, including lawful permanent residents, current visa holders, diplomats, athletes, and individuals whose entry is deemed to be in the US national interest.

The announcement has drawn sharp criticism from immigration advocates and human rights groups, who argue the policy unfairly targets people based on nationality rather than individual risk. Advocacy organizations also raised concerns that the updated policy removes previous exceptions for Afghans eligible for Special Immigrant Visas, a program designed for those who assisted US forces during the Afghanistan war.

Several affected governments said they are reviewing the decision and seeking clarification from US officials, while the administration emphasized that existing travel restrictions announced in June will otherwise remain unchanged.

Dec. 17, 2025 10:50 a.m. 824

Canada News Politics News