Ontario Forensic Audit Sends $40M Mental Health Firm Probe to Police

Post by : Mina Carter

The Doug Ford government has referred the results of a forensic audit of Get A-Head, a company that received about $40 million in provincial funding, to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). The company, which offers an AI-driven virtual mental-health counselling platform for students and police officers, was acquired by Keel Digital Solutions in 2022.

The Office of the Premier confirmed the government is reviewing all payments made to the company and may take further action. Government records indicate that Get A-Head received $32.74 million from the Ministry of Colleges and Universities between 2020 and 2025, $1.85 million from the Ministry of Health, and an additional $7.5 million in grants from the Skills Development Fund, starting with $2.72 million in 2024.

A routine audit in 2023 reportedly “raised concerns” regarding an external service provider, prompting a comprehensive forensic review. The results of that audit, received last week, recommended forwarding findings to the OPP, which the government said was done within 24 hours. The OPP has not commented publicly on the referral.

Keel Digital Solutions said it co-operated fully with the audit but expressed “serious concerns about the process,” citing misunderstandings of corporate and not-for-profit structures and misinterpretation of tax rules. The company stated it had not been informed of any red flags prior to the referral and said it remains confident in its compliance and integrity.

Political scrutiny has focused on Labour Minister David Piccini due to his office’s approval of Skills Development Fund grants to Get A-Head despite lower evaluation scores. Reports also highlighted his past connections with Keel, including attendance at social events and interactions with lobbyists who have donated to the governing party.

The referral to police comes amid broader criticism of the Skills Development Fund. Auditor-General Shelley Spence concluded in a recent report that the $1.3-billion grant program was “not fair, transparent, or accountable,” noting that many lower-ranked applicants received funding while higher-ranked applications were overlooked.

Opposition leaders have called for Minister Piccini’s resignation, citing political interference in the allocation of grants. Critics also noted a significant increase in recipients of Skills Development Fund money who employed lobbyists with close government ties.

The provincial government has not provided details on why additional funding was approved while the audit was ongoing. Keel Digital Solutions has stated it will fully co-operate should the OPP initiate a formal investigation.

Nov. 15, 2025 3:27 p.m. 586

Canada News Politics News CNI News