Israeli Strikes Kill Seven In Lebanon As Catholic Convent Is Demolished

Post by : Sophia Matthew

Israeli airstrikes across southern Lebanon killed at least seven people and injured several others as tensions between Israel and Hezbollah continued despite an ongoing ceasefire agreement. The attacks also drew international attention after parts of a Catholic convent in the border village of Yaroun were demolished during Israeli military operations.

According to Lebanese officials and local media reports, the latest strikes targeted several villages in southern Lebanon, including Kfar Dajal, Lwaizeh, and Shoukin. Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported that two people were killed in Kfar Dajal, three in Lwaizeh, and two others in Shoukin after Israeli air raids hit residential areas and vehicles.

The violence comes even though a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah has officially remained in place since April 17. However, both sides have continued exchanging attacks and accusations in recent weeks, keeping the border region unstable and forcing many civilians to flee their homes.

One of the most controversial incidents during the latest escalation happened in the Christian border village of Yaroun, where Israeli forces reportedly used bulldozers to destroy parts of a Catholic convent belonging to the Basilian Salvatorian Sisters. Church officials said the compound included a school and a medical clinic that had already stopped operating because of the conflict.

Gladys Sabbagh, the superior general of the Basilian Salvatorian Sisters, confirmed that parts of the convent were destroyed. She said the two nuns who had been living there left the area earlier due to security concerns. Most residents of Yaroun have also been displaced by the fighting near the border.

The Israeli military defended its actions by claiming the damaged structure had previously been used by Hezbollah fighters to launch rockets toward Israel. Israeli officials stated that soldiers initially believed the building was an ordinary structure because it reportedly had no visible religious signs. The military added that operations were stopped after troops realized the site was linked to the church.

However, Catholic Church leaders in Lebanon strongly rejected the Israeli explanation. Rev. Abdo Abou Kassm, director of the Catholic Center for Information in Lebanon, denied that the convent had any military role. He said churches and religious sites are places of peace, education, and humanitarian support, not military bases.

The incident has increased concerns among Christian communities in Lebanon after several reports of damage to churches and religious symbols during recent fighting. Earlier this month, videos showing an Israeli soldier damaging a statue of Jesus in the southern Lebanese village of Debel caused widespread criticism both inside Lebanon and internationally.

Human rights groups and religious organizations have also raised concerns about the impact of the conflict on civilians and places of worship. Reports from recent weeks have documented damage to multiple churches, monasteries, and Christian landmarks in southern Lebanon since the latest military escalation began.

Meanwhile, Israel said its military operations are focused on destroying Hezbollah infrastructure and preventing attacks on northern Israeli communities. Israeli military spokespersons stated that around 50 airstrikes were carried out within 24 hours targeting Hezbollah fighters, weapons sites, and military positions in southern Lebanon.

The ongoing conflict has caused major humanitarian challenges in southern Lebanon. Thousands of families remain displaced as villages near the border continue facing airstrikes, shelling, and evacuation warnings. Many homes, roads, and public buildings have already been heavily damaged during the fighting.

International observers fear the continued violence could further weaken the ceasefire and increase the risk of a wider regional conflict involving Hezbollah, Israel, and other Middle Eastern groups. Diplomatic efforts to reduce tensions are continuing, but repeated strikes and retaliatory attacks have made the situation increasingly fragile.

May 4, 2026 12:12 p.m. 213

Canada News CNI News world news