PM Carney highlights momentum in U.S.-brokered Israel-Hamas peace

Post by : Mina Carter

Prime Minister Mark Carney is calling for immediate action on the first phase of the U.S.-proposed peace deal between Israel and Hamas, following the announcement of an agreement late Wednesday.

Agreement Reached

U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed that the deal’s initial phase includes Hamas releasing all remaining Israeli hostages, while Israel will withdraw troops “to an agreed-upon line.”

Carney praised Trump and the mediating nations—Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey—for helping broker the breakthrough.

“I am relieved that the hostages will soon be reunited with their families,” Carney said in a social media post. “After years of intense suffering, peace finally feels attainable. Canada calls on all parties to swiftly implement all agreed terms and to work towards a just and lasting peace.”

If fully enacted, the plan would mark the closest progress yet toward halting a war that has expanded into a broader regional conflict.

Canadian Political Response

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre also lauded the U.S.-led effort, calling it a “monumental achievement toward generational peace.”

“We look forward to and pray for the return of all hostages and the end of this bloodshed so all can thrive in a lasting peace,” Poilievre posted online.

Behind-the-Scenes Coordination

Carney revealed earlier Wednesday that he has been in discussions with key figures driving Trump’s peace plan, including former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Speaking virtually at the Eurasia Group’s 2025 summit on Canada–U.S. relations, Carney said:

“We, Canada, are working closely with the Gulf powers, the Arab powers in the region, complementary to the United States in terms of the president’s 20-point peace plan. I’ve been in contact personally with Jared Kushner and Tony Blair… to co-ordinate our support as that plan moves forward.”

Trump’s plan—announced last week—includes a ceasefire, a hostages-for-prisoners exchange, phased Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, Hamas disarmament, and the formation of a transitional international-led government.

Blair would join a proposed “board of peace” overseeing the plan’s rollout, while Kushner is serving as one of Trump’s envoys in negotiations.

Obstacles Ahead

Despite Wednesday’s breakthrough, major challenges remain unresolved—chiefly, who will govern Gaza once the war ends.

  • Israel, the U.S., and Arab partners have ruled out Hamas leadership.

  • Hamas insists it will only hand over governance to a Palestinian technocratic administration supervised by the Palestinian Authority and backed by Arab and Muslim states.

  • Arab states supporting the plan say it must eventually lead to Palestinian statehood, a prospect Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu firmly rejects.

Carney acknowledged the fragile situation before the deal was announced, saying:

“I shouldn’t overplay it, but the momentum is there.”

Ongoing Violence

Even as negotiations progress, Israeli strikes on Gaza continue at a reduced pace after U.S. pressure. The enclave remains devastated after two years of war.

  • Casualties in Gaza: Local authorities report more than 67,000 deaths since Israel began its military response.

  • Israeli casualties: Around 1,200 people were killed in the initial Hamas attack, with 251 hostages taken to Gaza.

  • Hostages remaining: Of the 48 still held, Israel believes only 20 are alive.

Oct. 9, 2025 10:41 a.m. 564

Canada News CNI News